Friday, July 1, 2011

Projects

I (Gina) have a variety of projects going on this summer and fall in my work, both for Engage magazine and for Eurasia Region Communications.

  • We are working on a "Best of Engage" book that I am editing, using some of our best stories of the past couple of years. It's relatively easy -- just sorting through the website and picking out dramatic narrative pieces that represent each of our six world regions. The idea came from our editor in Africa, Amy Crofford. That will be due in less than two weeks.
  • I am making more work for myself by deciding to gather and format additional information pages for the regional website. I was inspired by some pages that were very informative and interesting on a couple of the other region websites. I'll spend the summer gleaning information about our church in different countries from several research books, and formatting it for the web.
  • I sought the help of two professors of journalism to develop an intro to journalism course for training Nazarene writers in the world regions. We have a lot of people close to the action in countries around the world who can and do write up amazing stories for publication. We can offer them some training in improved news gathering, interviewing, research and writing that will help them develop even more compelling narratives and news stories. My hope is to have the course ready to go in late fall or, at the latest, January.
  • I am continuing to work with writers on a 9-month article series to launch at the end of summer on the foundational principles of missions in our church, as well as how we apply those practically in a postmodern and 21st century context. I am looking forward to seeing that take a very real shape.
In September, a new communications volunteer will arrive, so we'll help her get settled and adjusted to life in this quirky little village, and to what goes into storytelling for the region. It'll be fun to have another hand on deck. Laine will specialize in video storytelling.

So, I'm keeping quite busy. :-)

Keep up with all the news: www.eurasiaregion.org/index.php/news and www.engagemagazine.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment