Monday, June 27, 2011

The End of the Beginning

Shortly after we arrived 18 months ago, I not only settled into my job responsibilities in the library and teaching but also began developing relationships with the campus students. This wasn't an official responsibility, it just happened. As these relationships were gradually built, I was hoping there might be 2-3 I could focus on as a mentor. However, I was not expecting tight friendships nor could I have imagined that I would gain so many whom I view as younger brothers and sisters - as family.

The past week brought a strange, but very good mixture of sadness and joy as they all left the campus for the last time. Unlike previous years, this was no "See you in the fall!" kind of temporary departure. It will certainly be strange when September arrives, and the campus is no longer filled with the sounds of students moving into the dorms. At the same time, I am very proud of how they have developed and all they've accomplished. I am incredibly excited to find out what the immediate and more distant future will bring into each of their lives.

Here are a few highlights from Graduation Weekend 2011:
  • Johanna Radzizewski, Wolfgang Kohler, Cezarina Cufaj, and Rebekkah Regehr not only completed their B.A. degrees but also graduated with honors! Johanna graduated summa cum laude and provided heartfelt reflection on her development and education at EuNC during her commencement address.
  • EuNC rector Klaus Arnold closed the ceremony and the residential program in Busingen with a single word, "Amen!" He reminded us that "Amen" does not mean "I am now done praying," but is rather an emphatic "Yes! So be it!" In the context of graduation and the campus closure, "Amen!" not only means completion, but a "Yes" to where God will lead from here. EuNC's graduating students have completed the beginning of their education, and are moving into new phases of God's work in and through their lives. EuNC has completed its first 45 years as a campus-based educational institution, and is in a position to embrace new ways of training Nazarene ministers for a global church. For both campus and students, one phase is completed and another is taking shape.
  • A stone marker, a "cairn," was erected on the campus lawn near EuNC's Welcome Center. A special ceremony was held in which we were reminded of when people of faith in the Scriptures built stone monuments to mark the presence and work of God in their lives in a particular place and time. Countless men and women, young and old from many countries, have contributed to the EuNC campus over the last 45 years. Those of us who participated in this final year of the residential program - students, faculty, and staff - each laid a stone on our own monument (with the help of Uwe and Stephan Burmeister) to represent God's work in and through EuNC from 1966 to 2011. We also contributed a brief paragraph each to describe the blessing that this unique campus community has represented, and these will be collected and published in a book so that - no matter what form EuNC takes in the future - everyone who is part of EuNC will be inspired to continue and develop the kind of community experience we have enjoyed here at the campus.
There is so much I could and want to say about each student. Right now, I don't even know where to start. Simply put, God has changed my life through them. My intention was to be a positive role model and to be a guiding support as well as one who could (and would) challenge their thinking and push them to grow. I leave all that entirely to however God wishes to use our time together in their lives. What I do know is the difference made by God in my life through them. I anticipate seeing each of them accomplish great things as they remain sensitive to His heart and faithfully obedient to His lead. Any church should count itself blessed to have young people like them in its congregation. They will be missed for a little while, and loved always.

The next six months remain somewhat unclear. I took a long walk on Sunday afternoon to clear my head, and try figuring out what new ministry I can be involved in while we are still here now that the students are gone. On the one hand, we are still here and there is work to be done. On the other hand, our own time will soon come to move on to wherever God leads us next. So, I am keeping myself available to EuNC while simultaneously preparing for the future. I confess I was expecting a little "handwriting on the wall" on Sunday during my walk as I prayed concerning the future. I'm probably not the only one around here who has been doing that. I got no answer: just a firm awareness that entered my mind like a cool breeze, assuring me that God had everything under control and that my only job was to be open, available, and ready.

This transition has affected every single person on this campus in some way, and we could all use your continued prayers. Pray for safe travels for each student, faculty member and staff-person departing the campus. Some have gone, some will leave this week, and others in the next few months. Pray for the few left behind. Pray that EuNC leadership will receive a clear vision for the future, that they will enjoy a time of restoration after the burden they've carried this past year. Pray for clarity in God's leading for each person, and for peace in their hearts even when there is little understanding.

Gina and I have both posted some pictures from Graduation Week 2011 on our Facebook profiles. Go to http://www.facebook.com, search separately for us under our full names, and "friend" us in order to be able to see the photos.

I would like to close by sharing my brief reflection which will be added to the "memory book" I mentioned earlier:

How difficult it is to summarize a year-and-a-half as part of the EuNC
campus community. Still, it is not impossible. In fact, I can boil it
down to two words: opportunity and gratitude. I have enjoyed many
opportunities I could never have experienced at home. I have learned
so much each and every day as I have embraced many challenging
opportunities, and this has served to teach me, transform my life, and
bring my calling into sharper focus. I came to EuNC intending only to
serve one-year and return home. I was not expecting my time here to
become so fundamental a part of my life, nor for the campus community
to find such a deep place in my heart. I am grateful for Klaus and
Antonie taking a chance on an unknown, inexperienced seminary graduate
and giving me so many opportunities to serve their students and become
part of their lives. I am grateful for the students - you will never
know how much I love all of you - who have been patient with me, who
have taught me how to laugh at myself, and whose questions have
challenged and re-shaped my own thinking as I have offered support,
encouragement, and advice. I am grateful, finally, to EuNC's staff:
without your tireless efforts, none of the rest of us in the campus
community could do what we do. Thank you for all your service in
feeding us, keeping the coffee flowing, keeping the campus property
maintained, the accounts balanced, and for all you do that is unseen.
I will never be the same because of this campus community, and cannot
now imagine it ever being otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment