Monday, July 25, 2011

Dinner in German

I (Gina) was surprised and happy when last week I received an e-mail from Cornelia, a woman in the English classes, inviting me to dinner with her family this coming week. It looks like the date's set for this Thursday.

During that last class before the summer break, I had asked her if we could exchange addresses and maybe meet this summer.

Shortly after that, Andrew and I were swept up in pre-graduation, graduation and post-graduation busyness, then Andrew and I took a week vacation. So I didn't have time to follow-up with her.

I'm excited that she initiated the contact. It seems like people around here can be rather private, even though they're curious and interested in newcomers. I try not to be too pushy in getting to know people.

While I'm excited about this opportunity to visit with a new friend in her home, I'm also nervous. Cornelia's still working on her English, and while she's good, her exposure to English is still pretty limited. And my German is even more limited. I'm nervous about being able to communicate and keep up my end of the conversation for a whole evening. This week I'm going to review my lesson materials from our German class in January and February and hope a lot of it will come rushing back. Maybe between her English and my German, we can meet somewhere in the middle and have a great time, getting to know each other better.

Pray for me!! :-)

1 comment: