Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer and Fall

It has been a month since Gina posted an update, and even longer since I have written so that I thought I would take a few moments to bring everyone up to speed on life and work in Büsingen from my end.


The last three months have been pretty busy. Around the end of May, I picked up three large projects - each of which needs to be completed before Sept. 1st. I am making great progress on each one, and anticipate that I will meet the deadline coming up in about three weeks.

First, I received an offer to teach Church History II online beginning at the end of August. This will involve four students from the Netherlands (all of whom I've worked with before, and look forward to doing so again) and one from Denmark. I had developed a large portion of the course already, but after taking the Introduction to Online Learning class my mind was filled with new ideas regarding how I could improve delivery of the material and harness the available technology for a more visual, less text-based experience. So I spent most of the summer re-building Church History II from scratch. The material is mostly complete, and students already have everything they need to begin.

Also, I began my studies with Nazarene Theological College in Manchester, UK this summer, enrolling in a single M.A.-level course that begins my preparation for admittance into the University of Manchester as a PhD student next year. The same September 1 deadline will complete the first half of the course. My third project involves writing a section of material for Nazarene Missions International (NMI) in Kansas City, and, yes, is also due on or before September 1! Despite a new school, new professor, and a switch from the American to British education systems (which is indeed pretty different), I am doing very well.

Working on each of these projects simultaneously has been quite the challenge, but everything is going well by this time and I anticipate meeting every deadline. Continue to keep me in prayer that God will provide wisdom, strength, and motivation to keep working hard each day until these things are done.

Throughout the fall, I will be teaching the Church History II class. Gina and I are both hoping to return to our long-neglected German language study as well. I will be preaching at our local church on Oct. 28. I did not end up mentoring the young man who visited our church earlier in the summer as they decided to attend elsewhere. There was also no time to pick up the Latin study as I'd hoped, and now (obviously) German is more of a priority anyway. I also have that major paper to write for my class with NTC, which will be completed before Dec. 1.

So, it will be good to be busy throughout the remainder of the year. I'm enjoying each project, and am excited about continuing to serve the Nazarene church in Europe through these various ways.

- Andrew

1 comment: