Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Looking Forward (Andrew)

Today, I completed teaching my section of European History. My job was to evaluate the questions students submitted from their reading of the textbook, and to spend time helping them 1) write better questions and become better readers [these questions are chosen by the instructor to appear on each exam], 2) to understand the general chronology of events and the “big picture” of European civilization as it developed through each period studied.

This came as an unexpected assignment, and there was almost no time to really prepare for it. However, I was glad to help shoulder a small share of the incredible burden Antonie has carried for the last several weeks. It was also an opportunity to work with my beloved subject, and to have that one last chance I’d wanted at being able to teach on-campus. I still hope for the opportunity to visit and teach in at least one of EuNC’s learning centers before Gina and I return to the U.S. But we’ll see how things develop.

For now, my schedule should begin to gradually become less hectic – for which I am very grateful, as much as I’ve enjoyed so many opportunities to be of service. I will keep busy, but there are no immediately pressing deadlines. I will spend the next bit of time (April and May) getting final grades turned in for three different classes, turning in some work on syllabus templates, and taking a couple of online students through Nazarene History & Polity (they took “incompletes” when I taught it originally). Once those projects are completed, June’s graduation will have passed, and the students will have left the campus. At that point, I will begin developing Church History I and II for 3 and 5 credits each as online courses. Church History I will not need a great deal of work, as I have already developed and taught the 5-credit course. I will also be able to do this at a leisurely pace, as neither class is foreseen to be offered any time soon.

With any “down time” I will stay busy by helping the remaining faculty/staff clean and organize the campus for eventual closure (this is projected to be complete by December or January); studying for the GRE and exploration of different universities both State-side and in Europe; and maybe taking on a project here or there with the Eurasia Regional Office. I have no inkling at this time that I will actually get bored at any point, but neither do I expect to be running at a frantic pace as I have been for several months. I’m looking forward to continuing to be of service, but also increased amounts of rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment