Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Teaching Online and an Urgent Request

The last several weeks have been quite busy for me as I developed and am now teaching Church History I as an online course for EuNC. It is a great fit for me as I am passionate about both church history and helping other students succeed in learning.

You'll recall that in April I taught Intro to New Testament, which was my first time on the other side of the lectern. While that was a highly rewarding opportunity full of brand-new challenges, teaching online is equally rewarding and challenging ... but in a different way.

The obvious difference is being online vs. face-to-face with your students. From what I've heard, many professors find teaching online to be more difficult than in a traditional classroom environment. This is perhaps where my lack of experience proved advantageous: I found it quite easy to switch from a traditional to an online environment.

There are, however, a number of challenges teaching an online course to students in various locations and of various ages for whom English is a second or third language. I stay very busy: body, mind and soul! One of the most important things I've learned is that it is simply not enough for a professor to have knowledge and even passion for his or her subject. A professor has to care genuinely and deeply about his or her students and their success. Love and wisdom, as well as knowledge, are part of a teacher's necessary equipment. These things only come from God, "who gives generously to all without finding fault" (James 1:5).

Despite the challenges, teaching Church History I online is a fascinating and amazing experience. I knew it would be since I am working with my favorite academic subject. What I was not prepared for was how I enjoy working with the students every bit as much as the subject itself! Offering encouragement, answering questions, having arguments, expressing pride in their success, responding to their needs, teaching new skills and pushing them to do better ... these things are both part of the challenge and part of the fun.

Recently, I was asked to develop a similar online class for History & Polity of the Church of the Nazarene, which will be taught in January and February. I am very honored by the request to teach students about our denomination and its history! Currently, I am looking into that possibility. I have also been asked to develop an online course for Church History II, to be taught later in the year.

This brings me to a bit of news that I hope will be made more complete in its details in the coming weeks.

Our volunteer contract with Mission Corps expires on January 31, 2011. We have been asked to extend that contract for another year and stay in our current positions. We have been carefully and prayerfully considering that possibility, and seeking the Lord's direction for our future. We urgently request that you join us in prayer for EuNC, the Eurasia Region, and how (and where!) we will fit best into the Lord's ongoing work. We will keep you up to date here.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    Good to hear from you. I do not often open my Facebook account. Call it a generation thing. Unless God directs you to another assignment, I would suggest that you take the open door of opportunity. God does not always give a specific answer--sometimes of course he does--but he trusts us to use our wisdom. If we start to choose wrongly, then the Spirit will check us. I believe that in God's love for us comes also trust that we will choose the best whether or not he gives specific guidance. There is a freedom that God gives his children, like a loving parent who allows the child to choose and is glad when he or she chooses best.

    Bob Branson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew -- I so agree with Bob's post. I will continue to pray that God gives you and Gina wisdom. Sounds like things are coming together for you!

    Love you!
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, it is so great to hear from you! I understand about Facebook. I have the same prejudice against e-books and Kindles. Call it a generation thing. :-) Thank you for your wise words and your encouragement!

    Aunt Beth, we'll certainly keep you up to date on what happens. Hopefully we'll have the decision finalized soon. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew,
    Thanks for the update. Glad you're responding well to the online teaching/learning modality. I didn't know you were offered that opportunity. For me, the reward of "connecting" with the students in meaningful ways is about the only joy in online teaching. It is a cumbersome medium to me. We can talk about it sometime.
    I will be praying about your pending decision. I interpret the offer as an expression of confidence in you and Gina's contribution so far and your potential to continue making a difference there. Journal the journey! It will matter later.

    ReplyDelete