Monday, September 13, 2010

A quick visit home

I (Gina) am packing today for a trip to Ohio where I'll spend a week with my grandparents. My mom's mom, Gloria Barnes, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She asked everyone in the family to come back and visit her this fall, as the doctors didn't assure her we'd all be together for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to spending time with my grandparents, aunts and cousins. Also, my brother, Chris, and his wife, Shelby, will be there for a weekend during my visit, so I'm excited to see them, too.

My grandparents came from unchurched homes, but it wasn't long after they married that they decided to visit a church. They picked a Nazarene church, and it was there they accepted Christ, and began the adventurous journey of following Jesus throughout their lives. Because of that decision, they raised their daughters, including my mom, to love God and to walk with Him. They sent their daughters to a Nazarene college where my mom met my dad. He also was a second generation Christian in the Nazarene church. They married and raised me and my brother in the church. (Eventually, my grandpa's parents and my grandma's mother also became Christians.)

I have always been conscious of the gift my grandparents gave me -- before they even knew I would exist -- that day they decided to follow Jesus. I am now conscious of another amazing gift they have given me: the peace and comfort that comes with knowing a loved one who is terminally ill will be able to greet you in eternity. It will be good to spend time with them this coming week.

This past week, my dad was in Switzerland for a leg of his sabbatical journeys across Europe, following the Reformation trail. We enjoyed a long weekend of traveling with him. Then, my friend Minya came and I spent my last week of vacation accompanying her to some spectacular sites in the Swiss Alps.

During both their visits I unfortunately suffered from migraines, stomach problems and a sinus infection that moved into my chest. It was disappointing, as I'd looked forward to their visits since we arrived in Europe in February. I'm still battling some lingering digestion issues, and I'm praying hard that they'll be resolved by tomorrow, otherwise it may be a long and uncomfortable flight across the pond. I booked the Ohio flight in good health, otherwise I would have waited a few days to go back until I felt better.

In the midst of all this, I am grateful for a job that I can continue doing from anywhere, as long as I have a computer and an Internet connection. I plan to spend a few hours each day continuing my work with Engage magazine and the Eurasia Region communications projects. My aunt has broadband Internet and I'll be staying with her.

I would welcome any and all prayers for my grandma, grandpa and our family, as well as for my own health as I travel home. Also, I'm sure Andrew would appreciate prayers as he lives the bachelor life while conducting his intense, online Church History course this coming week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment