Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My social media pledge

I wrote this today. I'm sharing it with trembling and fear, because I worry I won't live up to it. Christ have mercy.

Anyone want to join me? (I have a feeling this means I will talk and write a LOT less.)

Social Media Pledge

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I will pledge in my social media interactions (and in all my other interactions) to:

1. Ensure that I speak only when I am certain my motives and statements are rooted in Christ’s love.
  • If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal (1 Corinthians 13:1)
  • By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:35)
  • Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (1 Corinthians 13:4-6)

2. Speak to and about others on social media the way I would like them to speak to and about me.
  • Do to no one what you yourself dislike. (Tobit 4:15)
  • Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

3. Ensure all my comments and statements are “only what is helpful for building others up” and “may benefit those who listen.”
  • Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29)

4. TRULY listen and try to understand the other’s ACTUAL point of view before responding, asking questions for clarification when necessary, rather than ascribing to them an idea or belief (usually negative) they may not really hold.
  •  My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, (James 1:19)

5. Prayerfully consider my words before I speak, and avoid speaking out of anger or hurt.
  • My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, (James 1:19)

6. Avoid engaging in silly or pointless debate, and keep my focus on what is important.
  • Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. (Proverbs 26:4)

7. Be a blessing to everyone, as much as I am able.

8. Diligently check my facts, find out the source of stories, news and rumors before commenting or sharing them, and ensure the source is legitimate before sharing or commenting.
  •  Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight. (Proverbs 12:22)

9. Avoid criticizing people on public forums, rather addressing any grievances privately.
  • If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. (Matthew 18:15)

10. Be quick to humbly apologize for giving offense.
  • Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23-24)

11. Strive in the hard work of achieving forgiveness toward anyone whose comments have hurt or offended me.
  • Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (Colossians 3:13)

12. Speak to and treat others with respect and dignity – as if they themselves are Jesus – avoiding condescension, contempt, snideness or dismissiveness of their values, beliefs or feelings.
  • The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40)

-- Gina Pottenger, September 2017

1 comment: