Monday, September 28, 2015

Fall 2015 update

Andrew and I returned from our two-month U.S. home assignment at the beginning of September. It was a SUPER BUSY summer, as we presented in churches every Sunday morning, a number of Sunday nights, and a variety of weeknights. But we had a wonderful time with all the churches and groups that we spent time with. We felt so encouraged and blessed by the positive and affirming comments, the gifts, the meals together, and the prayers for us and our ministry. Thank you so much for inviting us into your church families! We really look forward to staying in touch.

Since we've been back, we took a badly needed week-long vacation on the coast here in the U.K.

Then, Andrew started up his year-long job at Nazarene Theological College as the resident assistant, a supportive position serving students living on campus. He participated in a three-day emergency training last week, where he was certified in CPR and other emergency capabilities. He has also conducted several meetings with the students. He is revising his first chapter of his thesis in the area of church history, and has been asked to teach 3-4 classes this fall, one of them in Belfast and another in Glasgow.

I've been kept very busy with the growing refugee crisis here in Europe, as hundreds of thousands of people fleeing the Middle East are entering countries in southeast Europe where we have missionaries and churches. Our people  instantly mobilized to deliver emergency aid to the refugees, and join other organizations and groups who are setting up shelters and providing assistance to those on their way to Germany and Austria. I've been trying to stay in contact with our people in order to write or coordinate communications with our regional and global church family about what is happening and how we can support our people on the ground in this rapidly changing situation.

Keep up with our reporting on our regional website, www.eurasiaregion.org, and our Facebook page, by searching "Church of the Nazarene Eurasia."

Next Sunday, I have the privilege of sharing my home assignment presentation with a church here in Manchester. They are facing the possibility that Middle East refugees will soon be locating to their community, and they want to understand the need and find out how our brothers and sisters in the Middle East have already been ministering to these hurting people displaced by civil war in Syria and Iraq.

In mid-October, I'll be flying to Chicago to spend a couple of days sharing with media and communications students at Olivet Nazarene University about how God can use their skills and passion to support and expand the work of our church globally, and here in the Eurasia Region. My hope is to be the catalyst for God to call young people to join our media and journalism efforts, especially in the Eurasia Region. We are badly in need of more people to help in this area. Please pray with me that God will call students at Olivet (and from anywhere else!), for now and in the future, to serve with our church in communications.

Afterward, I'll head to Colorado to submit my application for my next year's visa to live in the UK as a volunteer with NTC. While I'm waiting for my visa to be issued, I'll fly to the Eurasia Regional conference, where I'll meet up with Andrew, and spend 10 days coordinating a team of people who are joining me in doing communications work at the conference. I'm so thankful for these people who are helping me there.

When the conference is over in early November, I'll fly back to Colorado to pick up my visa and then return to Manchester just in time for our 9th wedding anniversary. :-)

It's going to be a very busy 5 weeks. I'm looking forward to all these great travels, and I'm also looking forward to mid November when my traveling is over for the year and we can just focus on the holidays and our life in the NTC community in Manchester.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment