Friday, October 3, 2014

Settling in

Andrew and I have both now arrived in Manchester and are settling into our room, the school of Nazarene Theological College and life in England. We are already noticing cultural and language differences, learning to ride the bus system and finding out which stores carry which items that we need.

Andrew arrived on September 7 and I got my visa in mid September and arrived on the 29th. I spent my last few weeks in Busingen by cleaning and emptying out our apartment, packing up everything that was there and shipping it either to the US or to Manchester. I also did a lot of goodbyes and Last Things, such as the last time to go to my favorite restaurant, the last time to walk by the Rhein, the last time for a coffee in Schaffhausen, the last time to see my friends, etc.

Meanwhile, Andrew has been making friends and getting busy with his responsibilities here at NTC. He's auditing a Latin course at the University of Manchester down the road, as well as starting his teaching assistant responsibilities and helping to colead a pastoral care group of undergraduate students. He is also taking notes for a hearing impaired student for one of his classes. He spends a lot of time in the library as well.

I was very excited that I will have an office on campus where I can do my work five days per week, rather than having to work from our room. I will spend one day per week working for NTC and continue four days per week as full-time manager of Engagemagazine.com and managing the regional publications for the Eurasia Region. I am sad that now I am separated from the rest of our awesome communication team in Busingen but hopefully we will chat and video often with Skype. I will also miss all the impromptu chats and visits with the rest of our regional office team. Yet, I look forward to working with new colleagues here.

We want to thank you deeply for praying us through this transition and through my incredibly difficult flight experience in getting here (it's a long story). We couldn't have endured our 3-week separation or gotten everything done without your support and prayers. We miss and love you and hope to hear from you when you can. You can also keep up with our short posts in our Facebook group. Just search for The Pottengers in Germany, even though we are no longer in Germany. :-) (Facebook won't allow us to change the group name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment