We've been through three months of daily German lessons now, and the class is taking a hiatus for the month of September. There was something I didn't expect to happen when we began on May 5, that a break is allowing me to reflect on.
I didn't expect to bond so much with our classmates. Hailing from Russia, Kyrgyzistan, Bulgaria, Hungary, Saudi Arabia, Syria, France, Turkey, Spain, Thailand and Nigeria, the students in our class are all on the same playing field, the same team, with no one having the advantage of being on their home turf. We are all foreigners, learning a new culture and a new language together. There's something about making mistakes together, laughing together over those mistakes, helping each other through the difficult lessons that bonds people to each other. There is no room for arrogance or superiority for anyone when you're learning a foreign language. We are all humbled by the obvious nature of what we do not know and cannot say without help. And everyone wants the others to succeed.
I was surprised by how our classmates worked their way into my heart. They are kind, gentle and generous people who love to share their lives, even when we cannot communicate in words, by pulling out their iPhones to show each other their homes, their families, their countries, and anything else that makes them who they are. They love to give hugs. I am humbled by their exceeding and unmatchable hospitality and generosity. It was hard to say goodbye to them for the summer.
I have been praying for them, for God to bless them and their families, as well as their integration into this new culture and land. I pray that someday we will all stand at the throne of God and praise Him together.
I didn't expect to bond so much with our classmates. Hailing from Russia, Kyrgyzistan, Bulgaria, Hungary, Saudi Arabia, Syria, France, Turkey, Spain, Thailand and Nigeria, the students in our class are all on the same playing field, the same team, with no one having the advantage of being on their home turf. We are all foreigners, learning a new culture and a new language together. There's something about making mistakes together, laughing together over those mistakes, helping each other through the difficult lessons that bonds people to each other. There is no room for arrogance or superiority for anyone when you're learning a foreign language. We are all humbled by the obvious nature of what we do not know and cannot say without help. And everyone wants the others to succeed.
I was surprised by how our classmates worked their way into my heart. They are kind, gentle and generous people who love to share their lives, even when we cannot communicate in words, by pulling out their iPhones to show each other their homes, their families, their countries, and anything else that makes them who they are. They love to give hugs. I am humbled by their exceeding and unmatchable hospitality and generosity. It was hard to say goodbye to them for the summer.
I have been praying for them, for God to bless them and their families, as well as their integration into this new culture and land. I pray that someday we will all stand at the throne of God and praise Him together.
No comments:
Post a Comment