The other day I went to the store and on a whim decided to buy some chicken livers.
I know, I know. Hey, we both like breaded, deep fried chicken livers. Don't judge. It sounded good.
Trouble was, I hadn't looked up the word for "liver" before I went. I figured with a little pantomime it would be easy enough, though.
At the meat counter I said, "Haben Sie Hähnchen..." and then I pointed to my liver. The woman seemed confused. She guessed, in German, "chicken wings" and then "chicken breast" and I kept saying, "Nein" and pointing more emphatically at my lower right side (never mind that I'm not entirely sure which side the liver is on). Then she asked me if I wanted chicken stomach. NO, definitely not. She asked another lady behind the counter and I heard the word "English" meaning they were saying that this customer probably only speaks English. Both women agreed in German they didn't know what I wanted. I said "organs" in English but still we weren't communicating. Another customer walked up and joined the guessing game. Finally she said, "Leber?" and I knew that was it. "Ja, ja!" I said, happily. The butcher pointed to a frozen meat section and I went over and sure enough, there was a package of frozen Hühnerleber.
And so we had breaded, deep-fried chicken livers last night for dinner. Yum!
I know, I know. Hey, we both like breaded, deep fried chicken livers. Don't judge. It sounded good.
Trouble was, I hadn't looked up the word for "liver" before I went. I figured with a little pantomime it would be easy enough, though.
At the meat counter I said, "Haben Sie Hähnchen..." and then I pointed to my liver. The woman seemed confused. She guessed, in German, "chicken wings" and then "chicken breast" and I kept saying, "Nein" and pointing more emphatically at my lower right side (never mind that I'm not entirely sure which side the liver is on). Then she asked me if I wanted chicken stomach. NO, definitely not. She asked another lady behind the counter and I heard the word "English" meaning they were saying that this customer probably only speaks English. Both women agreed in German they didn't know what I wanted. I said "organs" in English but still we weren't communicating. Another customer walked up and joined the guessing game. Finally she said, "Leber?" and I knew that was it. "Ja, ja!" I said, happily. The butcher pointed to a frozen meat section and I went over and sure enough, there was a package of frozen Hühnerleber.
And so we had breaded, deep-fried chicken livers last night for dinner. Yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment