Wednesday, May 22, 2013

This American Life

Andrew and I have been home in Colorado Springs now for about two months. We are learning firsthand what "deputation" or "furlough" is like for missionaries.

To put it shortly: Traveling, speaking, chatting, doctor appointments, and working on our work wherever we can find a wifi signal.

We spent the first three weeks working on our work here in the Springs, interspersed with family time on both sides of our family. We also had an ordination interview. I went to the dentist for a cleaning.

Then we spent the majority of April traveling around the Hawaii Pacific District -- all four main islands -- speaking in seven churches, sometimes multiple times in one day. We had a blast getting to see the everyday-life side of Hawaii instead of the tourist side of things. We spent time in people's homes, or out seeing their favorite parts of their islands, again interspersed with the work we still had to get done on Andrew's class he's teaching in July, and for me on Eurasia Region communications and Engage.

We returned to Colorado Springs on May 7 and hit the ground running with multiple doctor's appointments. Andrew and I both have plantar fasciitis that we had to have looked at. I returned to the dentist for two fillings to be replaced and found out that I needed to see a periodontist for a severe recession on a front tooth. So then I went to the periodontist to find out I needed to have gum surgery on all four front lower teeth.

I started to develop constant back pain from all the travel and changing beds every few nights, so I needed to go to a chiropractor and that includes a number of follow-up visits. And I hadn't had a vision checkup in 3 years and knew that my prescription had changed, so I went to the eye doctor twice to get fitted for contacts and new glasses. In the process they broke my existing pair of glasses, so they had to order me a new backup pair.

There are a few more doctor's appointments we both have, including a dental cleaning for Andrew. It feels like all we do is try to find a coffee shop with reliable internet so we can get work done in between numerous doctor's appointments. I counted that I had 12 different doctor's appointments in May alone. Andrew has had three.

The gum surgery on Monday went very well and I'm recovering with hardly any pain, which is a welcome surprise, as I was told by the doctor and several friends that it is very painful. I am told I will be able to continue public speaking with no problem.

We had a very good time speaking at Lakewood Church in Denver, Eastborough in Colorado Springs and Lamar in southeast Colorado this month. This weekend we will be heading to Cortez church. Soon we will also share with Paonia and Monte Vista, in Colorado, and Mustang church in Oklahoma.

On June 4, one of my best friends, Julia, will be visiting me for a few days from Oregon, and Andrew will be ordained on June 7 at our state's district assembly.

In the middle of all this, my dad, Gene Grate, announced his retirement after 37 years of pastoral ministry, 19 of those years as lead pastor of Springs First Church of the Nazarene. We are so proud of all the ways God has used and blessed him and my mom, Ronoyce, over the years. We are also excited that we will be here for my dad's last day as pastor on June 30, so we can celebrate with them.

It is also full of meaningful symbolism that my dad will be recognized in retirement at the district assembly just as Andrew is ordained, making us feel like there is a "passing of the torch" of ministry from father-in-law to son-in-law.

We are also proud and excited that Andrew's dad has recovered so well from a serious heart attack in December and that he started a new job since we've been home, in his field of kitchen cabinet installation and carpentry. Andrew's mom also started back to school last month, studying for a bachelor's and master's degree in counseling.

There have been lots of big developments since we've been home, and we feel incredibly blessed to be present to share in the excitement with our families.

At the same time, we are starting to miss aspects of our life in Buesingen, and increasingly missing our friends there. We expect that as we continue to soak up all that we love about home throughout our last two months in the States, we will continue to transition mentally and emotionally to being ready to return to our other home in Germany/Switzerland, or as we affectionately call it "Germitzerland."

We are so thankful for all the prayers for us as we travel and speak. We are continually affirmed and assured that God is speaking through us, and we are getting to meet a large number of young people who are sensing some kind of ministry call from God, to carry on God's mission through the next generation.


1 comment:

  1. That is soooo much going on! I will continue to pray for you guys! If there is anything spacific you'd like prayer for let me know! Be safe and be blessed!

    ReplyDelete