Thursday, November 10, 2011

English class in full swing

The English class that I teach on Thursday nights is in full swing, since we restarted in September after a summer break. All the participants are divided up into four different classes based on their proficiency level, and spend an hour in various classrooms listening, discussing and working on English grammar (which they seem to unanimously hate -- not that I blame them).

I'm enjoying being a full-time teacher now, although I also find it challenging since I don't have formal training in this area. I'm learning what helps my group of 6 to 8 students most and what is less helpful -- they prefer talking and discussing so they can practice pronunciation and be forced to remember words they've learned before. They also like it when, after they have read a section of text out loud, I read it to them again myself so they can hear how the words are normally pronounced by a native speaker.

The thing I enjoy the most, however, is the people I am getting to know better, bit by bit, each week. The class is allowing me to develop relationships with wonderful people in our village as well as nearby villages. It also allows me to learn about some of the struggles and challenges they face, so I know how to pray for them.

Many tourists who visit Busingen and the Rhine valley believe it is an idyllic "paradise" because it is picturesque and politically stable, offering a peaceful lifestyle accompanied by the easy accessibility to many desirable material things.

But just like anywhere, people here grapple with serious health challenges, ill family members, financial setbacks, struggles to find steady work, loss of loved ones, and unrealized dreams. Tonight, in our class, we discussed dreams and goals for the future, and what can prevent one from fulfilling a dream. Several people described dreams that they have, as well as the unavoidable life obstacles that mean their dream will never be realized.

I am grateful for the time we spend together each week, and that I can serve them in some small way as they work hard to improve their English skills, but also that I can think of them and pray for them in more specific ways.

Pray with me for this service that our church offers, and that God can use it to encourage and draw many local people closer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment