I prefer to call it "culture stress," because it's not that you are in a constant state of shock; it's more an on-again-off-again state of stress.
Some missionaries have told me that it's sort of like the stages of grief, in that you don't go through the five stages of culture shock in a linear order and then you're done; you go through them once, and may revisit previous stages again, periodically, after you think you've adapted to your new home.
I've also been told that it takes five years of living in another country before you finally begin thinking like people in that country. The same is true when you return home.
So, I suppose it's a bit optimistic to think we've completely settled into the culture here. And I'm not sure if I should be oddly encouraged by an experience I had over the weekend: I became completely enamored with a street I was driving on while going to a friend's house.
There were one- and two-story office buildings with plain, unattractive designs and corrugated metal rooftops, as well as small, strip shopping centers and big shopping centers, and gas station after gas station after gas station (you don't see them so close together here, usually).
I began driving with one hand and snapping pictures with the other.
Then I was struck by what I was doing. All my photography in Europe has been of the picturesque half-timber homes and businesses; the Medieval, frescoed villages; the tiny cars and historic farms and castles -- everything that was previously foreign and interesting and photogenic to me.
It was a bit embarrassing, then, to go slack-jawed and camera frantic over fast food restaurants and car dealerships -- stuff that not even two years ago I would not have dreamed of photographing. You'd have thought I stepped straight out of the bush.
Either the architecture that I grew up with is now unusual and foreign to me, or I am a bit homesick. :-)
-- Gina
The modernness of the pics you snapped recently, side by side with the European architecture of your blog site, creates quite a stark difference don't they. I think the modern bldgs we have today are not interesting at all. I don't look at one and say, "wow that's a cool looking bldg." The old-world architecture to me has LOTS of character. It has a history of hands-on building -- not like we have today that is done a lot by machinery, not blood, sweat, and tears like in the Old World. Ya know?
ReplyDelete