While the regular English teacher is teaching in another part of Europe, I'm filling in with her group on three of the Thursday night sessions this month. I'm sad that after mid-May, they'll suspend classes for the summer.
I've only subbed a handful of times, but I have made a point to visit the after-class informal gathering over coffee and sweets every week. It's my way to meet and talk with people from the village and surrounding area, who come faithfully every week to add to their English fluency. I've made one good friend out of the class, and just had fun chatting with the others, who come from all kinds of places -- Italy, Germany, China and Switzerland. Some of them even speak Spanish!
I have come to realize that language classes are a really great way to provide a much needed and valued service to a community, to build new relationships and to share unconditional love with others. I know that language classes are utilized in various parts of Europe as an outreach and I can see why.
I am looking forward to being involved again when they reconvene in September.
-- Gina
No comments:
Post a Comment