Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Staying Busy in January

January was the quite the busy month for us!

I (Andrew) returned on the morning of Dec. 31 after a SPLENDID three-week vacation with friends and family in Colorado for Christmas. Gina stayed behind to undergo some extensive testing related to her "mystery illness" which had been giving her problems since September. The first two weeks of January were spent (for me) working on the library annual budget report, fine-tuning a message I gave in chapel, and putting the finishing touches on the material for another online class.

Shortly after Gina returned, our tiny quiet campus was flooded with over 150 people from all parts of Europe who had arrived for the annual Leadership Conference. It was an amazing, bewildering, exciting time of meeting many new people who are serving God through the Church of the Nazarene in Europe. It was also an extraordinary time of being both intellectually and spiritually challenged through the speaking of Jon Middendorf and Leonard Sweet. Most of all, it was a powerful time of meeting with Jesus Christ daily as He was central in everything our speakers said.

Leadership Conference had barely ended when EuNC's Faculty Assembly began. This is when the Board of Trustees, faculty, and administration come together.

The Trustees formally endorsed the plan to close the residential campus program in Busingen in order to focus entirely on a de-centralized education model through EuNC's learning centers. Let there be no confusion on this matter: EuNC is NOT closing! EuNC is far bigger than the Busingen campus, and continues to grow as young men and women all over Europe are called into and preparing for ministry.

EuNC's faculty (from the learning centers as well as the campus) gathered for development training, discussions concerning curriculum, and to continue the process of approving the syllabi for various classes offered by EuNC. Part of the challenge is to standardize the syllabi so that no matter where a course is taught, EuNC's expectations are clear and broadly applicable. At the same time, there must be a certain amount of flexibility (given variables such as cultural context, available technology, etc.). The process was begun, and will continue throughout the rest of this year. I will be contributing, along with several other history and theology instructors, to the syllabi for Church History I and II, Intro to Theology, and Christian Doctrines I and II.

During Leadership Conference and Faculty Assembly, I began teaching Nazarene History & Polity as an online course for students at the Netherlands learning center. This is a six-week course which not only acquaints students with Nazarene history, doctrine, and organization, but also connects the Church of the Nazarene (historically and theologically) with the larger Body of Christ. This class is going well, and I am enjoying the many questions from students that demonstrate they are wrestling with the information in an attempt to carefully think through their commitment to the Nazarene church.

Recently, Gina and I enrolled in German I, which is currently being offered at the campus. We are excited that, after one year and two failed attempts to learn German, we are finally able to begin studying this language. We will also continue with German II later in the spring. Finally, I am in the process of creating course material for an online Intro to Theology class which I will teach in March for students at the learning center in Albania.

So, as you can see, there is a lot to keep busy with! I still find plenty of time to continue building relationships with the students, as well as spending time with Gina and getting enough rest for myself. I'm not sure how I'm pulling it off, other than to say God is giving me both strength and a good sense of priorities!

2 comments:

  1. Man, you guys ARE busy!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I had been reading about the leadership conference - hope to listen to some of the sessions that are available online. I will be praying for you as you continue to develop and teach the intensive online courses. I know from experience how demanding that can be! Hang in there, and yes, make sure you get your proper rest!

    ReplyDelete