Friday, October 22, 2010

Andrew isn't the only one teaching

When you're teaching English to people in another country, the last thing you want to see in the ESL workbook is a reading and comprehension story on snake-handling churches in America.

A few weeks ago I agreed to substitute teach an introductory English class that our church offers to people in our community. When I looked at the section we were going to be doing last night, I couldn't believe it when I saw the paragraphs written about the "Holiness movement" in which congregations handle snakes because of a passage in Mark (16:18) where Christ says his followers can handle snakes and not be hurt.

Considering that our denomination is part of the "Holiness movement," along with mainstream denominations such as the Wesleyans and Methodists, and that as far as I know, not a single one of these churches encourages people to play with poisonous snakes, I was not thrilled with the impression this would create with Europeans, in whose culture Evangelical denominations are already viewed as cultish (I am told).

Wow, that was a long sentence.

Well, at first I thought about skipping the section and going on to something else. But then I figured, hey, any opening for a spiritual discussion is better than none, even if it's weird. So I decided to go with it and see what happened.

While we read other little "stories" about snakes, sure enough, nothing elicited as much interest in the meaning of the text as the snake-handling anecdote. One of the men had even read the story in advance of our class and gone to his Bible to look up the section referenced for himself. They seemed confused by the story and did a lot of talking amongst themselves in German as they tried to figure it out. I didn't have any idea what they were saying. But finally, one of the ladies asked me if the people in this American sect misinterpreted the Bible or if the passage really does mean that Jesus is promising his followers that they can play with snakes and not get hurt.

I said that this passage reminded me of another one, in which Jesus says if you have a very tiny seed of faith, you can say to a mountain, "hey, go jump in that lake" and the mountain will do it. I said, "of course, that would not happen. So it is a symbolic meaning, and it means that with God's strength, you can overcome problems in your life as big as mountains." I said this may be what is meant by Jesus' words about snakes, too: that a problem in your life as tricky and problematic as a snake you can handle with confidence when God gives you the strength to face it. They seemed satisfied with that explanation. They also asked me how many people in America would do something like this, and I emphasized that it is very, very few.

Upon closer examination, I see that Jesus' words about snake-handling, speaking in tongues, driving out demons and being immune to poison were fulfilled amongst his followers shortly after his death, particularly in the life of Paul. And I know that in many countries around the world, such signs are still being fulfilled today. However, it was somewhat difficult to explain in the most simple English that while these things are certainly true, Jesus was not encouraging his followers to seek out dangerous situations, such as playing with poisonous snakes, as an end in themselves or to prove anything. So I left it at the symbolism.

At the end of the class, one of the participants said, "We think you are very easy to understand; you speak slowly and clearly, and you explain things well." That reassured me, because I really wanted to be an effective substitute until the real ESL expert returns from a teaching trip. They said they were glad that they are forced to speak in English with me most of the time because it is helping them practice more.

Afterward everyone stayed for cookies and to talk in English more informally. This is a great time for me to get to know people from around our village in casual conversation, and it's super fun.

I'm really happy that I have something to offer in service here, and I do hope to continue being part of this, whether subbing, teaching or just showing up to make new friends.

-- Gina

1 comment:

  1. That is a great story Gina! I know in my case, I would love to have other english speakers come to my class just to talk with my students. I am sure the teacher would be happy to have you come help in the class. Even if they have a tea/coffee break - those are good times to just show up and talk with people as a friend.

    ReplyDelete