
Last week, I completed my first teaching assignment, a course for first-year students titled Introduction to the New Testament. It was a very challenging, but positive and eye-opening experience!
There were four international students in my class. Pictured here from the left are Linda (Germany), Niels (the Netherlands), Keila (Argentina), and Heber (Bolivia). Each one of them brought a passion for studying God's word, insightful questions, and a unique perspective on what it means to live as Christians in the world.
The class met for two hours a day from March 26-April 21, during which time I led them through each book of the New Testament. We discussed key passages, authorship, historical background and important theological themes unique to each book and consistent throughout the NT. By far, the favorite class activity was our regular discussions. Sometimes, I would ask the students about a particular passage: what it meant to them, what concerns or questions they might have about it, etc. At other times, the students asked their own questions and often had them answered by their fellow students. I greatly enjoyed seeing each of them engaged and interacting with the Scriptures, working to understand and apply it to their lives.
Teaching was an incredible challenge. Not only because it was my first experience, but because of the responsibility of teaching the Bible. Always in my mind was the admonition of James 3:1, which says "Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers and sisters, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." Never have I been more thankful for my own teachers - at Southern Nazarene University, MidAmerica Nazarene University and Nazarene Theological Seminary - whose careful guidance and shaping of my life contributed profoundly to the success of my first teaching assignment.
For about a week toward the end of the session, I was sick. Fortunately, I never missed a class and was able to keep teaching. Following the end of the course, I participated in an evaluation with the academic dean in which I was able to share ideas for improving the curriculum. At the end of this evaluation, I was asked to teach the class again to a new group of students in November: an opportunity I readily accepted with excitement.
Finally, a word about the students in my class.
I am so proud of them, even as I have admiration for them. They did everything without complaining or arguing. Indeed, they tackled the study of the New Testament with passion! Their discussion, assignments and tests reflec
ted a hunger and growing appreciation for the word of God. They were teachable without expecting to be spoon-fed. They asked tough questions, yet allowed the word of God to speak to them. They were patient with their teacher as we all learned together!Each student at EuNC is very special to me. As I get to know them, I grow to love them. They are an amazing group of young people! EuNC has an important role to play, raising up servant leaders who participate in the work of God throughout the world. Please keep the school, the students, the faculty and staff in your prayers!
Andrew this is great news! Thanks for continuing to tell the story.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing opportunity for you and for the students!
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me as I consider going back to school to pursue the craft.
ReplyDeleteAndrew and Gina, we are so happy to hear that God is using you in such wonderful ways. You're students are blessed to have such a great teacher.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! We're certainly blessed to be able to have this experience, and are grateful for God's continuing provision as well as His equipping us for our task.
ReplyDelete