This region of Switzerland and Germany has seen an unusual amount of snow this winter, which has continued since we arrived. Early on, it snowed without stopping for nearly five days. Last week we finally had several straight days of sunshine and warming weather. Today, it began snowing again and this morning it was nearly white-out conditions as Andrew and I tried to drive to a nearby village for a few of those famous European pastries and some coffee.
Fun and weather aside, now that Andrew and I have been here just over a month, we have gotten more settled into our new roles and responsibilities. It is even more clear now that we are here what a perfect fit our new jobs are for us.
Andrew has been learning his role in operating the library. In addition to managing the day-to-day tasks, he is conducting an audit of the collection. In a few weeks he'll begin teaching Introduction to New Testament, which fits his long-time passion for and dream of teaching. This coming Wednesday he's been asked to speak in chapel. The topic on the calendar is "Coming out of the Desert." We both know that this is something he will be able to speak to effectively from personal experience.
He also enjoys spending time getting to know the students during the campus-wide daily coffee break in the dining hall.
In addition to my existing full-time job of managing www.engagemagazine.com, I am doing my best to continue the region's monthly newsletter, Where Worlds Meet. My predecessors departed in December and there was no one to continue the newsletter until we arrived. We got our first one out March 1. If you're interested in receiving it, you can sign up at the new location of the region's Web site, www.eurasiaregion.org.
Dennis, our new regional communication coordinator, had the great idea to add a weekly news release. We began sending "Eurasia Snapshots" every Monday. As I spend learn the various sources of information on the region and build my network, I am seeing how many amazing stories of God's grace and work in the region are out there waiting to be told.
Around our responsibilities we are fitting in time for fun. The students have a campus activity every Friday evening. Last night it was a ping pong tournament. They put a lot of effort and creativity into these activities. I partnered with Megan, a student from our home church in Colorado Springs who is spending a month in the exchange program here. Andrew partnered with another student named Gideon. We had a great time not only exercising long-dormant ping-pong skills, but chatting with students between our rounds. I was especially excited to meet and talk to a student from Spain who said she loves to write and would like to learn more about how to use writing for ministry. I hope we can connect more soon about our mutual love for writing.
I will be traveling to another part of the region to photograph and write about an event in a few weeks. I would appreciate prayers for safe travels during the long flights and an 8-hour bus ride through a less developed area, for strength and physical health and endurance, and for alertness and skill as I do my best to interview pastors and leaders, capture stories, and photograph an important event in a room that I'm told will be challenging for photography.
One of the best things about our time in Buesingen is seeing how much God is doing in our lives individually and as a couple. I have seen my faith and trust grow so much, as I give God each of my fears, worries and unanswered questions, stepping out on faith that He will make a way.
And He has, just like He always does.
No comments:
Post a Comment